Last night I had to pick up my apartment because apparently my slumlord is selling the property and an appraiser is coming over to do some estimates. I was notified yesterday that this would be happening and as the day went on I started to wonder if someone would be looking at all the apartments, or just mine? Maybe they asked me because they know I’m not as gross as their other tenants?
Anyways, as I was picking up my apartment last night I got the “purge urge” and I instantly wanted to get rid of ¾ of the shit in my house. I started with a piece of art that got broken in the move. I haven’t done anything with it because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to replace the glass or just get rid of the art all together.
"Barbershop" by Jacob Lawerence - an American painter who's primary influence was the shapes and colors of Harlem. He's best known for his series that depicted the epic Great Migration of African Americans from the rural South to the urban North.
Eventually I decided to save the art (because it’s by one of my favorite artists, Jacob Lawrence) and toss the frame. As I was taking apart the frame I discovered that I had stuck a painting my father did way back before I was born behind the Jacob Lawrence print.
My father's painting.
I don’t know much about my father, but I know this, he is an amazing artist. He’s had no training whatsoever but he’s truly very talented and I’ve always been amazed at his natural talent. This particular watercolor is not really my style but I keep it because it’s a piece of him. I don’t have much from him in fact this painting is one of only two things I have of him, the other is this fish magnet he made for me when I was about 11. If you’ve ever seen it on my refrigerator and wondered why I had this old, cracking fish magnet, that’s why.
If you look closely you can see his finger prints in the clay. So, now I need to figure out what I’m going to do with this painting, obviously I want to keep it, I just don’t know what to do with it?
In other news, today was the first day since the holiday break that I woke up on time for work. It felt nice to take my time in the shower, do my hair, put a little concealer under my eyes and slowly gather my stuff. On my way to work I realized what I was wearing and while I’m fine with it, others might think it’s weird, I wish I gave a shit. I decided to wear my favorite hippie shirt, my favorite hat, the lion, and drive South on I-15 with Snoop Dogg’s Doggystyle (one of the best CD's ever by the way) bumpin’ in the speakers. What’s with me? I’m truly a disaster.
That is all.
Sauerkraut





Your hat makes me want to call you Bret Michaels. HAHAHAHAHA.
ReplyDeleteAnd wait, behind your fathers painting is that a rug? Because if it is I'm in love with it.
ReplyDeleteYou are a disaster in precisely the way I love. At the coast I was wearing a skirt with knee-high pink & gray striped socks, cowboy boots, and a big floppy green hat with a feather sticking out. Birds of a feather, my friend. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I think your artistic talents all come from your dad, which is a pretty cool thing to inherit. I'll be getting...uh, TMJ and irritable bowl syndrome from my own dear papa. Gross.
I understand the purge urge. We're having a yard sale this spring and I'm already SO excited!