Sauerkraut Here!
Most of you know I love Mexican food and growing up my father used to make me taquitos. I remember years ago, on my birthday, he made me a huge mountain of taquitos for dinner , complete with a rainbow chip layered cake… That his girlfriend at the time smashed on the floor… Anyways, I love my fathers taquitos and my mother has made them for me a few time but its been years and they‘re just not the same.
The other night my brother called my father and unbeknown to me asked for the recipe. Well, last night I made my first batch of taquitos. They weren’t as tasty as my fathers but they were still delicious. Preparing them brought back a bunch of memories and tons of questions.
While preparing the taquitos I asked my brother a bunch of questions about my father and his side of the family and at one point I paused. In my mind I realized I was having what I call a “prefect moment.” A moment when everything feels right, like you’re right where you’re supposed to be. A moment you wished would last far longer than it does, but you know you will never forget it. I had that moment.
Standing in the kitchen, preparing my fathers taquitos, discussing him and my Irish ancestors. I was surrounded by my family (on my fathers side): my brother, my nephew and my brothers girlfriend, the one who brought my nephew into this world and was carrying my other nephew in her stomach. It was a really cool moment that I never wanted to end.
Moving on…
Today was my nephew and I’s first one-on-one outing! To no surprise, I took him swimming. First we went to Walgreens to pick up some Little Swimmers Diapers and then we headed to the YMCA for some fun.
Someone is ready to swim...
Hence the crazy man dance with his "moo" in his hand...
It's a horse, not a cow.
When we got there I dressed him in his Little Swimmers Diaper (he really liked it because it had Nemo on the front of it. He kept pointing at it and saying “fish!?”) and his brand new swimsuit, I couldn’t resist. He looked super cute and was ready for some fun. When we walked on deck he gasped in joy and I could tell he was excited, but a little overwhelmed by all of the water and older children.
That blur, is my nephew running to the pool.
It wasn’t long before we were playing in the water and he had so much fun splashing about. To my relief there were lots of fun things for kids his age to do, but I think his favorite was the lazy river, he liked the current, I’m sure he thought he was swimming so fast. And it made his auntie really dizzy.
The lifeguards only yelled at us three times:
1) We didn’t use the stairs to enter the lazy river. Bummer.
2) My wonderful nephew decided to take of running, while I had my camera in hand, and head toward the lazy river. So, there I was, a 500 pound hippo, chasing after my nephew, ready to chuck my camera and just as he jumped into the lazy river to drown, I scooped him up.
3) The lifeguard, who’s not much younger than me said, “ma’am, please watch your kid because I’ve been watching him and he keeps running toward the lazy river.” Right. One, don’t call me ma’am and two, don’t worry about my “kid,” I got this.
Here’s the thing… I’ve been a lifeguard, and it sucked. So, I know what this kid was thinking…
1) I’m just doing my job.
2) I really don’t want your kid to drown.
I get it. I really do. However, I’m willing to bet that my nephew was the safest kid in that fucking pool. Not only have I been a lifeguard, but I teach swim lessons to kids his age. I also swam, competitively, for over ten years and at no moment during our excursion was I more than an arms length away from my nephew.
I’m a very protective person of the things I love and you better believe I would do anything to protect them… Anything… I’m not kidding… Anything.
Regardless, my nephew had so much fun! He enjoyed going somewhere new, running around in the different pools and being around other children. I spent a few moments working with him on his swimming techniques and to my surprise he did wonderful for a child his age.
He was very comfortable in the water, he was humming and trying to blow bubbles, he let me roll him on his back for a few moments (this is huge) and was even able to roll over onto his stomach. I was so impressed! I think he’s going to be a good swimmer and that makes me happy.
After about an hour and a half in the water, I could tell he was getting tired because he was getting a little fussy and I really knew it was time to go when he wanted to snuggle with me in the deeper water and watch the other kids play.
We climbed out, I wrapped him in his Elmo towel and we headed for the locker rooms. After I dressed him, I plopped him in the bug and we headed home, about five blocks. Before we arrived, he was out. In fact, at this very moment he’s still sleeping.
I had so much fun spending time with my nephew and it meant so much to me that my brother and his girlfriend let me take him. Most parents are nervous about leaving their child in someone else’s care and I understand that, so it meant so much to me that they trusted me with their child. I hope they know I love him so much and would do everything in my power to keep him safe and happy.
Finally, I’m hoping that my other nephew arrives before I have to head home, I have to attend a training session for my swim instructor position on Saturday, June 5th. Boo. Tonight for dinner… More Mexican food! I’m thinking I might try and make fried ice cream.
That is all.
Sauerkraut
P.S. I feel like a mom who does nothing but post about her family and children... Don't hate. I will be back to my miserable self soon. Oh! And he did not shit his swimmer diaper, woo-hoo! But he did tell me wear his "weiner, weiner" was in the locker room. Neat-O.
Yesterday at the doctors office...
I gave him a "balloon" to play with.
I gave him a "balloon" to play with.

Oh my goodness, this kid is ridiculously cute. I'm glad he had fun--you are the bestest crazy Aunt ever. :)
ReplyDelete